Seasoned. Successful. Supportive.

What To Do After Being Involved In A Car Accident

If you are injured in a car crash, it often feels like an earthquake has disrupted your life and your routine. While you are still at the accident scene, your mind can be clouded by physical shock, pain or disbelief. Yet this brief period is crucial for gathering documentation and evidence.

At Boyer Law Group, our attorneys have recovered six- and seven-figure results for clients injured in car accidents, and we are diligent in arguing for claim amounts that cover everything you need to take care of yourself and your family.

Steps To Take After A Motor Vehicle Accident

Depending on how severe the crash and how severe your injuries from it are, follow these steps to protect your interests after the incident:

  1. Get medical treatment immediately. No matter how minor your injuries may seem at the scene, you may be in shock or your pain may be dulled by adrenaline after the impact. Go to the emergency room or accept an examination by first responders.
  2. Report the collision to your insurance company. Some companies have more restrictive time limits than Michigan law allows for reporting accidents, so try to have the insurer contacted as soon as possible.
  3. Do NOT sign a release or give a statement to an adjuster. Be wary of interacting with an insurance adjuster or allowing them to examine your car without a personal injury attorney present.
  4. Get a copy of your police report. Call the police department or order it online.
  5. Attend all medical appointments. The insurance company may claim you must not be significantly injured if you are not attending scheduled appointments.
  6. Keep good records of the injury’s impact on your life. This means recording a detailed account of your medical appointments, prescriptions and treatments, how you feel, and how the injury is disrupting your personal relationships.

Get The Help You Need After An Injury Accident

Do not take a “wait and see” approach with insurance companies after an automobile accident that left you injured. Call our Sterling Heights office at 586-731-7400 to set up a free case consultation, or contact us by email. We serve clients in Mt. Clemens, Marine City, Shelby, Rochester, Birmingham, Bloomfield, Troy, Lapeer, Port Huron, Warren, Detroit, Royal Oak, Grosse Pointe and elsewhere throughout Michigan.